Saturday, April 13, 2013

Awkward Poking.........

For the most part I really enjoy Facebook and the opportunities it gives me to keep up with friends, relatives and former exchange students.  Being connected is a wonderful thing that makes life easier for those of us who are wired to be social beings.  I love people--I always have.  I like their stories and knowing that they are happy in their lives.  I like being able to say hello, offering a kind word here and there and sharing sorrows and joy.  I know that many people are more private about their lives than I am and would rather not have everything broadcast on the Internet.  I try to be respectful.  Some parts of Facebook are annoying though.  Of course they have to have advertising, so the ads are a minor annoyance.  The games and apps that want you to give out all of the names and info of your friends are a bit much.  My friends don't want to be hit with thousands of requests.  If I want to play a game, I play it.  I only have so  much time in a day so limit what games and how often I play.  The thing that I hate the most is the whole "Poking" thing.  It is just creepy.

I am not trying to hurt any ones feelings.  If you have poked me, you don't have to apologize.  Just don't expect to ever get poked back.  I don't want to encourage anyone. I had a mean uncle in Texas who loved to make me cry.  Okay, maybe that is just my perception of him and he was really an awesome guy who thought he was being funny.  I only remember trying to avoid him at all costs.  He would pull my hair and poke me. My only other memory of him is of him putting me on a cow so it would buck me off.  I think he wanted to show my parents that he could catch  me.  Thank God he did or I would  need even  more therapy!  He was a regular comedian--not.  I hated being poked. Why can't people smile at you or just say hi?  Why must they poke you?

I am not poked often. Probably because I am not a "come hither" and poke me kind of gal.   I know that those who poke me are just trying to say hi or that they are thinking of me.  I would rather get a short note or a like than a poke.  Recently in Portland there was a news story about a woman who was "attacked".  The story said that the woman was walking when a man said she dropped something.  When she bent to check he rubbed himself up against her in a very inappropriate way.  In my mind I picture my puppy going around trying to hump things.  Not pretty.   I guess he was trying to "poke" her.   My husband and I got into a debate because he claimed that wasn't an attack.  He says attacks are when people get beat up or hurt.  He says that she wasn't actually hurt.  I beg to differ.  I say that there is a broad spectrum of what can be called an attack and what else could it be called?  Of course he had suggestions but I'm not going there.

So while Facebook "poking" is just supposed to be a friendly hello, I shy away.  If I don't poke you back it isn't because I don't like you it is because of my perception of the word.  I see mean uncles, creepy perverts and mischievous little gnomes who delight in seeing you squirm.  Yes, being poked makes me feel dirty.  I am not a prude even though I sound like an old buttoned up maiden aunt who looks down her nose at silly fun sexual innuendos. Hello--I have the mind of a 13 year old boy and am always giggling at inappropriate thoughts.  I am no angel, I just say no to poking.  Maybe I should drink a little wine and go poking all of my Facebook friends.  I have a feeling that over half of them would find that creepy!  I can hear my son's friends telling him "Dude, you're mom poked me on Facebook~that is just so wrong!".  Facebook seems to always be changing and evolving, you would think that they could come up with something a little more creative than a poke.

Just my little tangent of the day~Poke away if you must, but you have to admit it is a little awkward.......


No comments:

Post a Comment